Thursday, May 28, 2009

Linky Party Guide

My kryptonite is attending Linky Parties. No matter how I try, I just can't resist them! Although, they're so much fun, why attempt to resist them at all? ;-) In fact, it makes me sad when I miss them because I don't know they're coming up. If only someone would keep track of them all in once place...

So I added a new feature to my blog. It's a list of upcoming linky parties in my right sidebar. Yay! This way we can all know when linky parties are coming up so we can remember to attend! I'm going to be leaving it up as a link party directory, and updating it as needed. So from now on when you're looking for a linky party, you know where to come! But I need all of you to help me keep the list current, so drop me a note and let me know where the party is!

For anyone unfamiliar with the concept of a linky party, the host blogger will pick a theme, such as a particular craft or decorating concept. My favorites are the linky parties that have a very specific theme, like "toy storage". They set a day, and on that day, everyone shows up and enters their link into the Mr. Linky box at the bottom of the post.

Linky parties are great because (other than being a ton of fun) it's an amazing way to get traffic to your blog! And if people like what they see, they just might stick you in their reader and come back later! A good linky party will get you a considerable amount of extra traffic.

Below are some posts that I think were fantastic linky parties, and they're still worth checking out even though they're in the past:







Mr. Linky Etiquette calls for you to enter first your name or the name of your blog into the first box. Then if desired, share a word or two about your post (in parenthesis). In the next box, enter the direct link to the proper post. Easy peasy!

Basic linky party etiquette
  • Be sure to mention the linky party in your own post and link back to their post. This is the most important rule!
  • Always enter the direct post address... NEVER your generic blog address. That is very poor Mr. Linky etiquette.
  • Make sure that your post is on the topic. I know we all love to link up, but it's just frustrating when you click on something that isn't relevant. Plus, it's likely that the hostess will remove your link if you don't follow the rules. It's very rude to put her in this situation.
  • It's generally fine to dip into your archives. If you have 2 really good on-topic posts, it can be ok to link more than one. After all, we're all looking to be inspired! But don't use this opportunity to spam someone else's blog. After all, you are a guest there. When using an archive, don't forget to updated it and link back to the party.
  • Visit some of the other links, and of course, leave a comment! In my comments, I like to mention that I'm visiting from the party. If you mention you're participating too, it's likely that they will come visit your post as well!
  • Reply to your new visitors who left you comments. Visit their blog and comment on their post as well.
If you're throwing a Linky Party, here are some pointers:
  • Sign up for a free Mr. Linky account here. Anyone can do it!
  • Set a date for your party, and be sure to give your readers some notice.
  • It's nice to have a button available- it will help with your advertising, but this is certainly not a requirement. Other bloggers might add it into their sidebar as a sort of "RSVP" to the linky party.
  • Pick a specific topic. The more specific it is, the more likely people are to click on the links. It's fun to link up at something generic like "Take-a-look-at-my-random-post-Tuesday", but no one really clicks on those. I generally do not get many extra hits on my blog from attending things like this.
  • Visit all of your attendies and comment on their posts. They took the time to come and link up, so it's nice to show your appreciation for their attendance.
Here's what not to do when hosting a linky party:
  • Please don't require your party animals to use your button. It's nice to spread the linky love, but requiring others to post your button on their blog crosses the line into greedy. A simple link in their post should suffice.
  • Don't sweat it if the turnout is smaller than you'd hoped. Blogging is supposed to be fun. This isn't high school. No one is laughing at you if you've been "stood up".
Linky parties are different from blog carnivals. For more on this topic, check out this post.

Now, come on... you know there's a linky party coming up that you want to tell me about, right??? Leave it in the comments, or send me an email: maskedmommy@gmail.com

4 comments:

Angie said...

I Love You Blog!
I just nominated you for an award.
Check it out here.

Xazmin said...

Thanks for including me! I used brown shoe polish on my chest, er TRUNK, like you suggested and also some end tables...I love them!

How's the new home?

Jen said...

Great Post! Happy Linking!

Jen

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Nice guide!! Thanks for the info & I look forward to seeing your linky party links!